Thursday, July 8, 2010

Books, Books, Books

Most of you know that I am going to teach second grade in the Fall (first day of school is in a little over a month). I am so excited to start teaching, but as a first year teacher there are so many things to prepare for and buy. This week I all of a sudden felt this sudden urgency to start building my classroom library collection! I think the most important thing for a classroom is a personal library. It's nice because the school has a great library and I can also get books from the city libraries, however, there is nothing like a classroom with plenty of books for students to choose from at will. I feel like by having my own personal library collection it shows my students how important reading and books are to me. So I went to D.I. several times this week and have been able to get some fantastic books for dirt cheap! The books I bought range from .25 to 2.00. I sure was able to stock up! I got 120 books for about $50.00! It has gotten me so excited about teaching! If any of you bloggers out there (or your parents, friends, family, etc.) happen to go through your garage and find any boxes with old children's books you don't need I can help take them off your hands!



P.S. Thanks Blake for letting me splurge on the books :)

8 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! I love books and I can't believe you got so many for such little money. Your students are going to love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DI has some books in really great condition for so cheap! I just bought a few last time we were there. Looks like you got some fun ones. I agree that a classroom with lots of books encourages more reading. Good call. I'm so excited to hear about your first year of teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun to teach next year!! you will be such a cute teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so fun! I just love books too. I couldn't agree more about you having a classroom library.What grade are you teaching again? I just might have a few to give to you when I see you in a couple weeks. I am excited to hear all your fun adventure of teaching too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of that for $50? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work!!! I am a huge fan of books and think it's really important to have a good collection. We were lucky to inherit some of my MIL's book collection from her kindergarten teaching days. And I add to our collection at every birthday, Christmas and Easter and sometimes just for fun in between. It's so fun too now that I have an independent reader!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant!! I need to check out your DI next time I'm in town because mine is definitely not that great in the children's books selection. But WOW, yours is awesome!! I'm so impressed you got all that for $50. I totally agree on having a classroom library too. You're going to be the best teacher :). I can't wait to hear all about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww that is exciting! I will keep that in mind if I hear of anyone with extra books! Kev's parent's ward in Missouri a month ago had a "Free Sale" and everything was free (so you would bring things you didn't want) and they had a ton of children's books...too bad I didn't grab them...they were all donated to some shelter though!!!

    ReplyDelete